Medigap Pro: “A Must – Your Welcome to Medicare Physical”
The “Welcome to Medicare” physical exam is a one-time, preventive physical exam Medicare will cover within the first 12 months of having Medicare Part B. It is highly recommended that you take advantage of this free exam, as it will help you better understand which preventative services you will need in the future. The exam will review your medical and social history, after which you will be confident in what services you specifically need concerning your overall health.
This visit is an easy way to become current on important screenings and shots. During the exam, your doctor will also talk with you about creating advance directives. An advance directive is a legal document that informs your family, friends, and health care professionals what kind of care you would want OR who you want to make decisions for you in the event that you’re too ill to speak for yourself. It is imperative that you be assessed of whether you need advance directives or not.
What can I expect to learn from this visit?
You will have an understanding and be assessed of the following:
- Certain screenings, shots, and referrals for other care you will need
- Height, weight, and blood pressure measurements
- Calculation of your body mass index
- Vision test
- Review of your potential risk for depression and your level of safety
- Written plan consisting of screenings, shots, and other preventive services you will need
What information and documents do I need to have for this exam?
- Medical records, including immunization records
- A list of prescription drugs, as well as over-the-counter drugs and supplements that you currently take, how often you take them, and why
- Family health history – the more knowledge you have about your family’s health history before your appointment the better!
- Any information you can give your doctor to help determine if you are at risk for certain diseases
How much will this cost?
The “Welcome to Medicare” preventative visit is completely covered by your Medicare Part B. Yearly “Wellness” visits are also covered under Part B. This is all subject to your doctor accepting the assignment. Additional tests and services may require a deductible payment
What is Medicare Part B?
Medicare Part B is part of Original Medicare, administered directly by the federal government, and covers services and supplies necessary to treat your health condition. These services typically include outpatient care, preventive services, ambulance services, and durable medical equipment. Part A is referred to as hospital insurance, while Part B is referred to as medical insurance.
Medicare Part B covers 2 types of services:
- Medically necessary services: services or supplies that are needed to diagnose or treat your medical condition and that meet accepted standards of medical practice
- Preventive services: healthcare to prevent illness or detect it at an early stage, when treatment is likely to work best
To learn more about Medicare you may go to www.medicare.gov. We invite you to contact our office for assistance in understanding the various parts of Medicare as well as the Medicare Supplement world. Please check out our website, https://medigappro.com for further information or call us at 1-800-535-8016.
Ted Guy – The Medigap Pro